Newport, Rhode Island is centrally-located in southern New England and is just an hour from points north like Boston or about three hours from New York City by car. Trains, buses and flights to Providence's T.F. Green Airport are also available to shorten your travel time to and from Newport. The main airport lies 25 miles to the north and the train station is located 20 miles west in Kingston, RI at the University of Rhode Island main campus. Smaller private/charter planes have access to Newport State Airport located just a few miles outside the city.
Area hotels and private companies offer shuttle service from the airport daily. In addition, there is a bus terminal at the Gateway Visitor's Center located in downtown Newport with direct service to New York City and Boston. Once you arrive in town, there are several places to rent cars, bikes and mopeds on the island.
Transportation Services in Newport
Lands End Limousine & Transportation
1151 Aquidneck Avenue, Ste 422
Middletown, RI (401) 847-4883
VISIT WEBSITELOCATE ON MAP
Located just a couple miles outside Newport, this location is close to the Newport Airport and provides transportation services from as far as Newark and New York. Also available for area tours and weddings. Experienced company with great reputation!
Newport, RI Area Map
From Boston and Points North
- Follow Rt. 24 South through Fall River and into Tiverton, RI
- Take second exit after bridge to Portsmouth, RI(Newport Beaches)
- Right at end of exit to light. Right at light onto Rt. 138 South (East Main Rd)
- Follow Rt. 138 South until you see a sign for "Newport Beaches". Turn left here onto Aquidneck Avenue (Fleet Bank will be on your right before the turn)
- Follow through 1 light to end and take left at second light
- Follow this road (Memorial Boulevard) past the beach on your left and up through the center of Newport. From here, you can reach Thames Street and the rest of downtown Newport
From Connecticut and Points West
- Follow Rt. 95 North into Rhode Island
- Take Rt. 138 East Exit
- Follow Rt. 138 to Rt. 1. Take left onto Rt. 1
- Follow Rt. 1 until the Newport Bridge (Rt. 138 Exit)
- Go over both bridges and take first exit in Newport (Scenic Newport). Take right at end of ramp
- At 2nd light, take right onto America's Cup Ave
- Follow America's Cup Avenue into town. From here, you can reach Thames Street, Ocean Drive, Memorial Boulevard and the beaches